Matt C. Altro
Partner & Chief Operating Officer at Altro Levy.
Matt C. Altro is a Partner & the Chief Operating Officer of Altro Levy LLP. Matt holds the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® designation in both the US and Canada and holds the Quebec Financial Planner designation.
Matt has specialized knowledge with respect to wealth planning for Canadians moving to the U.S. and Americans moving to Canada. He has nearly a decade of experience in the cross border planning industry, and creates comprehensive and customized plans that are designed to minimize tax, address estate planning issues, achieve retirement goals, identify investment opportunities, obtain healthcare coverage and meet immigration objectives.
Mr. Altro is a frequent speaker at national, international bank and industry seminars and he is a cross border expert of the radio show Dollars and Sense on CJAD 800 AM in Montreal. He is a regular contributor to a tax column in The Montreal Gazette, he’s been interviewed on CHCH Television and by the National Post, Advisor’s Edge, 24 Hours newspaper, published in the STEP Journal and has written various articles about moving to the U.S. Matt also authored a chapter about moving to the U.S. in David A. Altro’s book Owning US Property the Canadian Way, Third Edition.
- McGill University, B. Comm., 2000
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® (Canada)
- Financial Planner Quebec (F. Pl.)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM (US)
Recent Articles & Media Interviews by Matt
- Tax Strategy: RESP contributions are not deductible
-The Montreal Gazette, November 17, 2014
- Border shakeup could have tax consequences for snowbirds
-Financial Post, March 11, 2014
- FATCA squeezes American clients
-Advisor.ca, February 14, 2014
- U.S. clients aren’t in the clear, warns Toronto advisor
-Wealth Professional, February 11, 2014
- Watch out! FATCA’s on your doorstep, warns Toronto advisor
-Wealth Professional, January 16, 2014
- Snowbirds Beware
-24 Hours Newspapers, October 2013
- US Travel Rules Could Change
-CHCH Square Off, October 2, 2013
- Tax strategy: Liquidating U.S. inheritance can be tricky
-The Montreal Gazette, September 3, 2013
Cross Border Blogs by Matt
- Expatriate Tax Issues and Strategies: The IRS Eases Reporting Requirements for RRSPs
- Corporate Relocation: Managing Tax Residency Risk
- What Obamacare Means for Canadians Looking to Move to the U.S.
- The New U.S. Immigration Bill – Impacts to Canadians Spending More Time in the U.S.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 514-940-8062 / 416-477-8152
Honors and Affiliation
- Member of the Canadian Employment Relocation Counsel (CERC)
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- Member of the Canadian Institute of Financial Planning (CIFP)
- Member of the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)
- Member of the Institut québécois de planification financière (IQPF)
- Member of the Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC)
- Member of the Canadian Employee Relocation Council (CERC)
- Co-founder of the Squash Crohn’s Tournament benefiting Crohn’s and Colitis research in Canada
- Nominated for the ProMontreal Young Entrepreneur Award (2008)