Jonah Z. Spiegelman
Jonah Z. Spiegelman is Of Counsel to Altro Levy. He specializes in cross border tax and estate planning.
Jonah Spiegelman is a cross border tax and estate-planning attorney. His practice is focused on assisting high net worth individuals and businesses to understand the complex interactions between the Canadian and US tax regimes, and developing solutions that ensure efficiency and compliance on both sides of the border.
His areas of expertise include structuring ownership of US real estate for Canadian snowbirds and investors, estate planning for Canadians with US property and Americans living in Canada, and tax planning for businesses and individuals with filing obligations in both countries.
Jonah is a frequent contributor to Altro Levy LLP publications, and is regularly invited to speak on these topics at seminars, workshops and conferences. Jonah also co-authored Altro Levy’s latest book titled Americans Living in in Canada – Smile, The IRS is Watching you, and has been interviewed by media outlets to provide expert advice on planning for cross border issues.
Jonah is licensed to practice law in British Columbia, Alberta and California.
- University of British Columbia, 2009, J.D.
- University of British Columbia, 2002, M.A.
- University of Oregon, 1998, B. Sc.
Recent Articles & Media Interviews by Jonah
- Tax benefits of an estate freeze, –Advisor’s Edge, February 2014
- Glory Restored, –The Vancouver Sun, October 26, 2013
Cross Border Blogs by Jonah
- Tax Efficient Estate Planning through Wills, -February 2014
- US taxpayers with RRSPs? File now to avoid penalties!, -September 2013
- Branch or Subsidiary: Tax Planning for CDN Companies Expanding Operations to the US, -July 2013
- “Taxpayer Relief” could be Short-Lived, -April 2013
- Eleventh Hour Fiscal Cliff Deal – What Does it mean for Canadians?, -January 2013
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-800-370-4860