David A. Altro
David A. Altro is a Florida attorney & Canadian Legal Advisor. He is the Managing Partner at Altro Levy. Mr. Altro’s practice primarily focuses on cross border tax, estate planning and real estate for high net-worth individuals.
Mr. Altro is the author of Owning U.S. Property the Canadian Way, Third Edition, a guidebook for all Canadians who own property in the U.S. The book provides solutions to common tax and real estate problems for Canadians who own property in the U.S. Mr. Altro has written articles for numerous legal and industry publications, including the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Publication, CA Magazine, Florida Homes, Living and Investing in Florida, Quebec Bar Journal and Chambre des Notaires L’Entracte. He has been interviewed and quoted in The Globe & Mail, The National Post, The Montreal Gazette, The Calgary Herald, The Winnipeg Free Press, Canadian Lawyer and many more. He has appeared on CBC Radio, 660 News radio, Alberta Primetime TV and Shaw TV. Mr. Altro is also the legal expert on the radio show “Dollars and Sense,” on CJAD 800 AM in Montreal. Mr. Altro is a frequent presenter at legal conferences for the American Bar Association, International Tax Conference, Board of Notaries of Quebec, Quebec Professional Financial and Tax Association (APFF), Greater Miami Realtors Association, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and numerous national and international bank and industry seminars.
Prior to establishing Altro Levy LLP, Mr. Altro was a partner at Holland & Knight in Florida, one of the largest law firms in the U.S. Mr. Altro earned his civil law degree, LL.L, from the University of Montreal in 1979, graduating on the Dean’s List. He earned his Juris Doctor from Nova Southeastern University in 1984. In 1989, Mr. Altro returned to the University of Montreal to complete his Notarial Post-Graduate Studies. He received his B.A. in Honors Political Science from Concordia University in 1976. Mr. Altro is admitted to practice law in Quebec and Florida.
- University of Montreal, 1989, D.D.N.
- Nova Southeastern University, 1984, J.D.
- University of Montreal, 1979, LL.L.
- Concordia University, 1976, B.A.
Recent Articles & Media Interviews by David
- How to deal with a cross-border estate, -Advisor’s Edge, February 2014
- Five things to consider before buying a snowbird property in the U.S., The Globe and Mail, January 30, 2014
- Loonie drives new buying strategies for Florida homes, -The Montreal Gazette, January 29, 2014
- Borders complicate gifts to heirs, -The Globe and Mail, December 6, 2013
- Canadian Snowbirds Take Flight, -CTV News, October 27, 2013
- Tax strategy: Inheritance can affect level of social assistance, -The Montreal Gazette, October 8, 2013
Cross Border Blogs by David
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 416-477-8150
Honors and Affiliation
- Member of the Chambre des Notaires
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Quebec – (1980-1989)
- Florida – 1984 to present
- Chambre des Notaires – 1989 to present
- Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC)
- Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA)