David A. Altro
David A. Altro is a Florida attorney & Canadian Legal Advisor. He is the Managing Partner at Altro Levy. Mr. Altro’s practice primarily focuses on cross border tax, estate planning and real estate for high net-worth individuals.
David A. Altro, Florida Lawyer & Canadian Legal Advisor, is the managing partner of Altro Levy LLP, which he founded in 1988 with offices in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Florida, Arizona and California. David is the author of the books Owning US Property the Canadian Way, Third Edition and his most recent book: Americans Living in Canada – Smile, The IRS is Watching You.
Mr. Altro has been practicing law for over 30 years in Canada and the US and divides his time between the Toronto and Montreal offices. He specializes in cross border tax, estate planning and real estate for high net worth individuals and has written articles for numerous legal and industry publications. He has been interviewed and quoted many times in The Globe and Mail, The National Post and more. He has appeared on CTV News, CTV’s Canada AM, CBC’s The Lang & O’Leary Exchange, and many radio interviews. Mr. Altro is also the legal expert on the radio show Dollars & Sense on CJAD 800 AM.
Mr. Altro is a frequent presenter at legal and tax conferences in Canada and the US and for numerous national and international bank and industry seminars. Prior to establishing Altro Levy LLP, Mr. Altro was a partner at Holland & Knight in Florida, one of the largest law firms in the US.
Mr. Altro earned his civil law degree (LL.L.) from the University of Montreal, graduating on the Dean’s List. He then earned his Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and later returned to the University of Montreal to complete his Post-Graduate Legal Studies (D.D.N.).
- University of Montreal, 1989, D.D.N.
- Nova Southeastern University, 1984, J.D.
- University of Montreal, 1979, LL.L.
- Concordia University, 1976, B.A.
Recent Conference Presentations:
2015 Florida Bar Convention
June 26 in Boca Raton, Florida
- Using Trusts in International Planning: Canadian Focus
- Canada/US Cross Border Tax Issues & Planning
Canadian Institute of Financial Planners (CIFPs) 13th Annual
June 4 in Vancouver, British Columbia
- Americans in Canada & Canadians in America: Cross-Border Planning for Your Clients
Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting (CALU)
May 5 in Ottawa, Ontario
- Canada/US Cross Border Tax Issues and
Treatment of Life Insurance
Recent Articles & Media Interviews by David
- How an American spouse can minimize U.S. tax
–Advisor.ca, June 12, 2015
- New Trust Rules Impact US Citizens in Canada,
– Advisor’s Edge, April 2015
- How to own U.S. rental property,
– Advisor’s Edge, February 2015
- Investing in U.S. Property,
– Advisor’s Edge, November 2014
- Be aware of dual jurisdiction when buying in U.S.,
– The Lawyers Weekly, October 2014
- Book Excerpt: American expats in Canada, here’s a primer on filing U.S. taxes,
– The Globe and Mail, October 2014
- Book Excerpt: U.S. expats in Canada, the IRS is eyeing your RRSPs,
– The Globe and Mail, August 2014
- Tax Strategy: Expert Tackles Cross-Border Queries,
– The Montreal Gazette, May 2014
- Snowbirds Looking to Nest in the U.S.A.,
– Good Life Connoisseur, May 2014
- Reduce taxes for Canadians with U.S.-resident children,
– Good Life Connoisseur, April 2014
- The warm and fuzzy feeling of an estate freeze,
– Financial Post, March 2014
- Tax benefits of an estate freeze,
– Advisor’s Edge, March 2014
- The complicated landscape of US estate tax,
– Advisor’s Edge, March 2014
- How to deal with a cross-border estate,
– Advisor’s Edge, February 2014
- Five things to consider before buying a snowbird property in the U.S., The Globe and Mail, January 30, 2014
- Loonie drives new buying strategies for Florida homes,
– The Montreal Gazette, January 29, 2014
- Borders complicate gifts to heirs,
– The Globe and Mail, December 6, 2013
- Canadian Snowbirds Take Flight,
– CTV News, October 27, 2013
- Tax strategy: Inheritance can affect level of social assistance, –The Montreal Gazette, October 8, 2013
Cross Border Blogs by David
- The Henson Trust in Quebec, December 2014
- Tax Issues for American Citizens Living in Canada: Estate Tax, October 2014
- U.S. Estate Tax Debate, September 2014
- Tax Efficient Estate Planning through Wills, February 2014
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 416-477-8150
Honors and Affiliation
- Member of the Chambre des Notaires
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Quebec – (1980-1989)
- Florida – 1984 to present
- Chambre des Notaires – 1989 to present
- Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC)
- Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA)