David A. Altro
David A. Altro is a Florida attorney & Canadian Legal Advisor. He is the Managing Partner at Altro Levy. Mr. Altro’s practice primarily focuses on cross border tax, estate planning and real estate for high net-worth individuals.
David A. Altro, Florida Lawyer & Canadian Legal Advisor, is the managing partner of Altro Levy LLP, which he founded in 1988 with offices in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Florida, Arizona and California. David is the author of the books Owning US Property the Canadian Way, Third Edition and his most recent book: Americans Living in Canada – Smile, The IRS is Watching You.
Mr. Altro has been practicing law for over 30 years in Canada and the US and divides his time between the Toronto and Montreal offices. He specializes in cross border tax, estate planning and real estate for high net worth individuals and has written articles for numerous legal and industry publications. He has been interviewed and quoted many times in The Globe and Mail, The National Post and more. He has appeared on CTV News, CTV’s Canada AM, CBC’s The Lang & O’Leary Exchange, and many radio interviews. Mr. Altro is also the legal expert on the radio show Dollars & Sense on CJAD 800 AM.
Mr. Altro is a frequent presenter at legal and tax conferences in Canada and the US and for numerous national and international bank and industry seminars. Prior to establishing Altro Levy LLP, Mr. Altro was a partner at Holland & Knight in Florida, one of the largest law firms in the US.
Mr. Altro earned his civil law degree (LL.L.) from the University of Montreal, graduating on the Dean’s List. He then earned his Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and later returned to the University of Montreal to complete his Post-Graduate Legal Studies (D.D.N.).
- University of Montreal, 1989, D.D.N.
- Nova Southeastern University, 1984, J.D.
- University of Montreal, 1979, LL.L.
- Concordia University, 1976, B.A.
Recent Articles & Media Interviews by David
- How to deal with a cross-border estate, –Advisor’s Edge, February 2014
- Five things to consider before buying a snowbird property in the U.S., The Globe and Mail, January 30, 2014
- Loonie drives new buying strategies for Florida homes, –The Montreal Gazette, January 29, 2014
- Borders complicate gifts to heirs, –The Globe and Mail, December 6, 2013
- Canadian Snowbirds Take Flight, –CTV News, October 27, 2013
- Tax strategy: Inheritance can affect level of social assistance, –The Montreal Gazette, October 8, 2013
Cross Border Blogs by David
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 416-477-8150
Honors and Affiliation
- Member of the Chambre des Notaires
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Quebec – (1980-1989)
- Florida – 1984 to present
- Chambre des Notaires – 1989 to present
- Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC)
- Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA)