Frequently Asked Questions
Cross Border Tax & Estate Planning Questions for Canadians with US Assets:
- Should your U.S. residence be in your name alone, with spouse, with children, in a corporation or in a U.S. Trust?
- Can you qualify for a mortgage in the U.S.?
- Can you sign the documents in Canada?
- Is there a U.S. capital gain tax payable if you sell your U.S. residence?
- Who will inherit your U.S. residence upon your death?
- Is your Canadian Will valid in the U.S.?
- Is your Canadian Incapacity Mandate valid in Florida?
- Is there a way to avoid the expensive and time consuming U.S. Probate procedures?
- Will your U.S. residence be taxed upon your death?
- If so, is there anything you can do to eliminate the tax?